RE: Cataloguing open access

My library has made a conscious decision to include in our catalog those
journals that we have selected as appropriate for our users.  Neither the
format (print, online, or other) nor the method of acquisition (paid
subscription, free subscription, license, etc.) matter.  We even catalog
online journals to which we have access via aggregated databases such as
Ebsco Academic Search Premier, albeit we do so selectively because many of
the titles in those packages are simply out of scope for our users.

We, along with other libraries that catalog online resources, have put
mechanisms in place to make sure these resources get cataloged despite the
fact that no physical piece ever arrives.  Our digital resources librarian
uses a checklist to ensure we get access, catalog the title, list the
title on our e-resources web page, etc.

I feel strongly that the library catalog remains the single best place for
our users to find out which resources they can access through our library.

Beth E. Jacoby
Head, Collection Development
Health Sciences & Human Services Library
University of Maryland
601 W. Lombard St.
Baltimore, MD  21201
Phone: 410-706-7760