RE: The Economist and e-Archiving

This is an interesting case, and I think the publisher's action makes
sense here.  If the article were being repudiated because it was shoddy or
incorrect, it would be better for the article to remain in the archive
with some kind of editorial addendum attached.  But where the article has
actually been found by a court of law to be defamatory, and its publisher
has been punished for publishing it, I don't see how the publisher has any
choice but to get rid of it altogether, to the extent possible.  Leaving
it up in the public view would be tantamount to perpetuating the offense.

Rick Anderson
Director of Resource Acquisition
The University Libraries            "Perfect clarity is the
University of Nevada, Reno           ultimate style. A sentence
1664 No. Virginia St.                should be as lean as an
Reno, NV  89557                      equation."
PH  (775) 784-6500 x273                 -- David Quammen
FX  (775) 784-1328                    (paraphrasing Russell)
rickand@unr.edu