Re: Trust a high value in electronic content

There are two separate issues here:  free or open access versus paid
subscriptions, and peer-review.

By changing the economics of publishing from purchase to production, it is
possible to combine peer review and high editorial standards with open
access.  One example is the BioMedCentral model; in Canada, the National
Research Council is making their peer-reviewed journals openly available
to Canadian citizens.  I'm sure there are many more examples as well.

On the other hand, there are many magazines and some academic journals
which function on a paid subscription basis, which do not employ peer
review.

a personal opinion by,

Heather Grace Morrison

liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu writes:

>Here's an insightful piece from Outsell, Inc., regarding our need for
>trust in electronic content, these days when increasingly huge amounts of
>information are available.  It's particularly apposite at a time when we
>speak of for-free access to materials that authors of articles put on
>their or others' web sites.  Do we really believe that peer reviewed
>journals can be replaced in this way?  Do we really imagine a huge mass of
>unfiltered content can substitute for content that is filtered and
>categorized?  How?
>
>Outsell, Inc., has given us permission to reproduce these snippets on
>liblicense-l.
>
>Sincerely The Moderators

[SNIP]