Re: Libraries Urge Justice Departmen to Block Cinven and Candover

Purchase of BertelsmannSpringer
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:01:05 EDT
Sender: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

Having made the statement earlier that McCabe's thesis falls down if he
assumes an inexorable link between purchase and price rises, it is clearly
not enough to explain that this is not my own experience and I hope to be
able to produce evidence (in time!) to back up my assertion. This would be
evidence to back up my own memory of what was done by Chapman & Hall -
nothing more general.

However an example of a purchase that did not result in price rises has
been pointed out to me: it is the purchase of Gordon & Breach by Taylor &
Francis. I have not checked this and indeed (as an independent researcher)
it is very difficult for me to do so, but perhaps someone on this list
could see if I am correct in assuming that Gordon & Breach prices were not
put up dramatically by their new owners.