Re: Libraries Urge Justice Departmen to Block Cinven and Candover Purchase of BertelsmannSpringer

John,

Cinven and Candover's new money and management practices are not at issue
in our objection to this transaction.  There is a history of price
increases resulting from previous mergers.  We have no reason to believe
that this particular sale will be any different.  Cinven and Candover have
paid a premium for a property and will need to earn a return on their
investment.  This will not come through increased efficiencies alone.

We don't see how this deal will challenge Elsevier.  In fact, if the new
Springer does raise prices, it will provide Elsevier with incentive to do
the same.  It will, however, hurt libraries and small publishers.

Mary

Mary M. Case
Director, Office of Scholarly Communication
Association of Research Libraries
Suite 800
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington, DC  20036