Libraries Urge Justice Departmen to Block Cinven and Candover Purchase of BertelsmannSpringer

This appears to me to be a rush to judgement without any thoughtful
analysis of the impact of the creation of a group with the resources to
become a significant competitor to the otherwise sole 'super power' in
journal publishing.

Cinven and Candover are private equity companies.  Their investment in our
industry is new money.  It creates a new group that otherwise would have
been acquired, piece by piece, by existing publishing giants.  I know
Cinven from their time as principal owner of Routledge, of which I was a
director in the mid-1990s.  Their stewardship of Routledge was marked by
financial insight and by allowing the professional publishing management
simply to get on with the job of publishing books and journals.  They
offered advice, but they were always willing to listen and be corrected.
They were a model owner.  And the same individuals are involved with
Kluwer/Bertelsmann Springer.

The process of concentration in scholarly publishing in the last ten years
has been incestuous.  Publishers have bought other publishers.  This
acquisition represents new investment and creates diversity which would
not exist if one of the other bidders had succeeded.

John Cox

John Cox Associates
Rookwood, Bradden
TOWCESTER, Northants NN12 8ED