Re: Reporter faked the news.

Two  questions in this connection:

1/ If an institution or consortium enters into a contract with a publisher
to obtain the data and distribute the material in it's own institution or
consortium, what are the publisher's rights about the withdrawal of
material? Presumably it depends on the license, but what are the customary
terms?  I have been told Elsevier, for example, did not require the
removal of the material it removed from their own SD server from the
servers of others providing the material, or restrict their right to
distribute it within the range of their licenses.

2. If there are such requirements, do they apply to a national library, or
would a copyright deposit library refuse to honor them and provide the
material nonetheless. It might conceivably feel obliged to maintain the
material but not provide access to it.

In any case, I think Chuck takes a much too narrow view of the historical
record;  copyright provides an exclusive right to distribute, nothing
more.