Subscription information for PLoS Biology

Apologies for cross-posting. Please circulate widely.

The Public Library of Science (PLoS), a nonprofit organization of
scientists committed to making scientific and medical literature a public
resource, is pleased to announce that we have established a nonprofit
scientific publishing venture and that we will be publishing our first
open-access journal, PLoS Biology, in October 2003.

The PLoS journals will be governed and operated by scientists, and these
publications will retain all of the important features of scientific
journals, including rigorous peer review and high editorial and production
standards. The journals will employ a new publishing model that will allow
PLoS to make all published works immediately available online, with no
charges for access and no restrictions on subsequent redistribution or
use. PLoS has already assembled an outstanding academic editorial board
and a first-class professional editorial team. We began accepting
manuscript submissions for PLoS Biology on May 1, 2003.

As an open-access journal publisher, we will provide the online versions
of all our journals free of charge to anyone with Internet access, but we
also intend to offer a paper version for those who wish to pay for that.
Distribution of the paper copy will follow a traditional subscription
model, although the price for subscription will be as close to cost for
printing and mailing as possible. We have set the subscription price for
2004 at $160/year, which includes shipping. This is the subscription price
for both the United States and the rest of the world. The subscription
comprises all 12 issues published in 2004 as well as the three issues
(October, November, and December) that will appear in 2003.

If you would like a sample copy of PLoS Biology or if you wish to
subscribe to the print version of the journal, please either contact us
directly at subscriptions@plos.org to add your names to our database or
complete our subscription form, found at
<http://www.plos.org/journals/biology/pbio_subscribe.pdf>

Additional information about the Public Library of Science, as well as
copies of the Call for Papers for PLoS Biology, may be found at our
website, www.plos.org <http://www.plos.org/> .