Alumni and Friends of the Library Donors

Dear Colleagues,

I have seen several threads on this list about providing in library access
to databases for walk-in users.  I am wondering if anyone has negotiated a
license which allows remote access to databases for paid members of an
alumni association or friends group.  I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone negotiated a license which allows this kind of access?
2) What kind of increase in costs did this negotiation incur?
3) What kind of authentication did you use to provide access to this
   population?

Thanks for any information you can give.

Mary H. Munroe
Associate Dean,
Collections and Technical Services
University Libraries