Remote access for disabled public patron--query

Liblicense-L readers,

We have been approached by a member of the public with a disability that
prevents the person from coming to our library to use electronic products
available to the public on a walk-in basis.  The person has requested that
we make all our electronic products available remotely, in this single
case.  We do not, as per our many license agreements, permit remote access
to our "community borrowers."  The request has progressed to our
university legal department, which wants to know if "the vendors" will
allow isolated remote access to members of the public.  We are contacting
a few vendors just to be able to ask the question and report the responses
to the legal department, but anticipate negative responses.

Have any of you experienced a similar situation with a user, and how have
you responded to it?  Have you changed policy, renegotiated with vendors,
paid extra access charges, or just said no?  Have you experienced legal
repercussions?

While an on-list response could be helpful to others, I realize that legal
reasons may make off-list responses necessary.  I would be glad to
summarize, without any identifying details, any responses I receive
privately.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Kris Gerhard

Kristin H. Gerhard
Associate Dean for Collections and
    Technical Services
203 Parks Library
Iowa State University
Ames, IA  50011
vox 515/294-7511
fax 515/294-2112
email kgerhard@iastate.edu
"When you learn not to want things so badly, life comes to you."
Jessica Lange