Re: Eric Hellman's patent application

Chuck,

This patent application was written to protect various aspects of our
linkbaton system. (http://my.linkbaton.com/) Some relevant facts are that:

1. We have not been issued a patent.

2. There is prior art cited in the complete patent application, including
things like Herbert va de Sompel's SFX, the doi system, PubMed's LinkOut
system, and a rather interesting patent awarded to CNET which clearly
limit the scope and applicability of the patent, even if it is granted.

3. The PCT (Patent Cooperation Treaty) Submission that has been published
and is cited by Chuck is not even a complete application.

You can't draw a lot of conclusions from a patent *application*. There
are certainly many patents that have been *granted* that have claims that,
at first reading, would have very broad applicability (like the BT
hyperlink patent), but when you get right down to examining the claims,
they don't have as much generality as you thought. I have been granted two
patents in the past, and the lawyers have always managed to draft claims
that sound amazingly broad in the initial submission; the patent that is
subsequently granted is usually reasonable. I used to think this was just
a game that the examiners and the patent attorneys played- that you have
to ask for a mile if you want an inch, but now, as I've become older and
more cynical, I'm starting to suspect that the initial claims are done
that way so that the patent attorney can charge you more for responding to
multiple office actions.

I invite anyone with concerns or interest in this to contact me directly.

Eric
--

Eric Hellman, President Openly Informatics, Inc.
eric@openly.com 2 Broad St., 2nd Floor