Re: Tenure and journals (RE: Elsevier profit)

First of all, the "finally figuring it out" comment was clearly tongue-in-
cheek, something some of the more suspicious types, such as myself, tend
to do.  Are we really naive enough to insist that who is picked for this
or that editorial board is not a business decision in many cases?  And
even though these are "voluntary, non-paid" positions, do these editorial
boards not get the occasional trip to home base or wherever?  Am I
implying that all of these people who agree to serve on these boards are
in it for whatever they can get out of it?  Absolutely not.  Do I believe
that there may be some who think that way, absolutely. Especially those
tied with the high-priced, high-profit companies that are out there.

However, those publishers and even some board members who may think that
way, I firmly believe, are a small minority.  Most do not think along
those lines at all.  Most journals do not make much money, especially
those in library science and similar disciplines.  But they are not the
ones who have gotten so many of us in an uproar over pricing and
questionable practices.  Many of us know who the culprits are that lack
our trust.  The types of practices we've seen in recent years on the part
of some publishers has gone a long way towards creating what increasingly
is an adversarial relationship between these publishers and the consumers.
Instead of trying to develop a serious dialog with us, the publishing
industry hires powerful mouthpieces (such as Pat Schroeder) to see if they
can make our complaints and initiatives go away.

I believe things ARE going to change.  They have to if libraries as we
know them, including electronic, are to survive.  We're getting to a
point, and many have passed it, where we can no longer afford to purchase
the resources we need to support our programs because of the exhorbitant
prices of print and online.

One of the reasons we've come to this state is because we've sat
compliantly by without taking any sort of action over the years to protect
our collections from those we could call "Robber Barons."  Now we have no
choice.  Status Quo is no longer an option.  No matter how it is spun,
this is the reality as I see it.

--
Thomas L. Williams, AHIP
Director, Biomedical Libraries