AAHSL: More on Elsevier

In figuring out the profit margin for Elsevier and Science Direct, we have
to differentiate between the two.  In the article below from a year ago,
it is stated that SD had a whopping gross increase of 44% with a net
profit of 34%.  There were several areas of Reed-Elsevier that actually
lost money.  When Reed-Elsevier factors in its losing departments and
those doing so-so to good and then includes the Science Direct profits,
the overall profit margin may then be in the 10-15% range.  The overall
Reed-Elsevier profit is not what we are most concerned with but rather the
SD profit.  That's the one that comes off of our collective backs.  No
matter how they spin the numbers, our budgets are being routinely sacked.
The high prices we pay are used to bolster weaker divisions of the company
See the article below.

--
Thomas L. Williams, AHIP
Director, Biomedical Libraries