Re: Elsevier profit

Without waiting for the publishers, I suggest that if the academic world
were to follow the course laid down by Stevan Harnad and many others,
there would be no need for them to explain or for us to be concerned. Most
of these titles would no longer exist at anything near the current prices.

And that provides the answer for from the publishers' side as well: they
believe that we will do just that, and they want to get their money in the
limited time they have left, rather than try to stabilize the existing
system. They have apparently written it off, and --this time-- we should
follow their lead.

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Ann Okerson wrote:

> Reposted to liblicense-l at the request of several readers of other lists.
> Mr. Michaelson's posting originally appeared on "chminf-l", "slapam"  and
> "reedelscutomer".  Perhaps publishers on this list can explain to the
> non-publishers just how to interpret such percentages (see also earlier
> LJ NewsWire message re. Wiley).

Dr. David Goodman
[not speaking for any library, but just myself]
Palmer School of Library and Information Science, LIU

dgoodman@liu.edu