Re: Elsevier policy on article removal

I once more congratulate Elsevier on the further improvement in its
policy. I am, reluctantly, prepared to recognize the realities of legal
constraints on publishers. As has been suggested, probably the only
practical way to cope with this is for there to be other copies of the
files. Rather than everyone using the Elsevier SD server, at least some
organizations should actually obtain the data files and run their own
servers (as indeed some already do).

The only change that I would propose  is in

> text will be replaced with a screen indicating that the article has been
> removed for legal reasons.

Considering the easy overuse of "legal reasons" in the past, even in
instances when that was by no means the case, some indication should be
given when possible. Most of the time a phrase such as "for reasons of
copyright violation" , or even "because of a court order" can and should
be used. "Legal reasons" just by itself is no longer credible.

Now one step remains, to actually do what the policy says for the articles
currently removed.  I have considerable confidence in Elsevier's good
intentions, but I will believe they have changed their practice when the
prove it by their deeds.

Dr. David Goodman
Princeton University Library
and
Palmer School of Library & Information Science, Long Island University
dgoodman@princeton.edu