Re: AMA pricing and the concurrent user model

There are clearly two separate communities of users here.

As a non-medical-school site, I cannot imagine that we would ever have
more than 1 concurrent user for any AMA publication except JAMA. Even for
JAMA, I would think we would do very well with 2. If we had a medical
school, things would certainly be very different.

This is one of the cases where ip based access using the whole university
as the pricing base totally impossible for many institutions which have a
different emphasis than the journal publishers were thinking about.

I can see no single model that would work. There is reason for both. But
even concurrent user should be ip based, not password based--though we can
administer passwords properly, it's an extra step for the users--and for
the staff who have to set it up.  And named-workstation models are absurd
for any educational institution--it defeats the basic idea of ejournals.
Whether it makes sense in industry, is a question I leave to those who
know something about it.