Re: Accessing Evidence-based Nursing

At 10:48 PM 1/25/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>< I haven't seen this document, so I'm confused about where the complication
>< is.  It looks to me like most of our sites -- you bring up the homepage,
>< click on the "current issue" and get the TOC. From there you click on
>< a full text link or whatever, and you get an article or a login prompt
>< depending on whether or not you have IP based access.
><
>< > EBN Online has unwittingly created a de facto secondary access control
>< > which not only defeats IP-based access but any access at all. Highwire
>< > Press is sympathetic but had to refer me back to the publishing society.
>< > RCN responded that they need a "few weeks" to consider their login
>< > procedures. Is anyone else out there dealing with EBN Online? Suggestions?
>
>D'oh! Never mind. I understand what you are talking about. You're
>complaining about the linking to a non-highwire system to handle the whole
>registration procedure, right?

You're correct. But how many authorized users who click through the HP
"Subscribe, Register or Log-in...." link will know they should select "I
am accessing from an institution and want to verify access rights are set
up to view this material." Especially, when this is the last of four
options they could chose from.

> >From what I've seen I'm guessing stuff like that may become more common.
>
>I can see where a publisher who deals with a number of different
>aggregators might want to maintain access control/registration from their
>own sites and "push" data back to various service providers.
>
>Jim

I can appreciate the publishing society's need to ensure access control,
but they are doing it in such a clumsy way. And its even more aggravating
since EBN/RCN has the example of other BMJ titles maintaining access
control via Highwire (or at least it appears that way to the user).

I hope this does not become more common. The thought of each publishing
society/publisher pulling the access control function from services such
as Highwire or Ingenta and coming up with their own "creative"
verification schemes seems nightmarish.

Daniel