Re: Vanishing Act & Elsevier's reputation

I am asked from time to time whether there is any measure that Elsevier
can take that will restore its reputation among librarians and scientists
as a trustworthy academic publisher.

First, it must establish a policy about deletions that warrants that it
will remove no material for any other reason than the final order of a
court of competant jurisdiction.  (This does leave some extremely
difficult problems unresolved, and it these that Anthony appropriately
defers for discussion at Charleston next autumn.)

Second, as not a single one of the removed items falls within the above
class, it must restore every one of them. In view of the inconsistencies
to which Anthony refers, I cannot imagine that any responsible librarian
or author would have confidence in a policy statement, however
enlightened, without this proof.

If the Society for Human Immunology is unhappy at this, let them publish
future years of their journal elsewhere. At this point, it is more of an
embarrassment for Elsevier than an asset.

Speaking personally,

Dr. David Goodman
Princeton University Library
and
Palmer School of Library & Information Science, Long Island University
dgoodman@princeton.edu