Re: Accessing Evidence-based Nursing

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:03:57 -0800 I wrote:

< I haven't seen this document, so I'm confused about where the complication
< is.  It looks to me like most of our sites -- you bring up the homepage,
< click on the "current issue" and get the TOC. From there you click on
< a full text link or whatever, and you get an article or a login prompt
< depending on whether or not you have IP based access.
<
< > EBN Online has unwittingly created a de facto secondary access control
< > which not only defeats IP-based access but any access at all. Highwire
< > Press is sympathetic but had to refer me back to the publishing society.
< > RCN responded that they need a "few weeks" to consider their login
< > procedures. Is anyone else out there dealing with EBN Online? Suggestions?

D'oh! Never mind. I understand what you are talking about. You're
complaining about the linking to a non-highwire system to handle the whole
registration procedure, right?

>From what I've seen I'm guessing stuff like that may become more common.

I can see where a publisher who deals with a number of different
aggregators might want to maintain access control/registration from their
own sites and "push" data back to various service providers.

Jim