Re: Athens security scam

Years ago, at the time of the first online journals, I worked for a
subsidiary of a large corporation and, as security was very much a worry
among publishers at the time, I went to the top to make sure that I was
not going to have problems later on the basis that all my journals were
going to leak away to non-subscribers. The official view was that there
would be some leakage, in spite of all the efforts of librarians to stop
it, but that it was only systematic theft which was a worry.

What is described by Athens looks like systematic theft - of which as far
as I know there has been very little in the online environment. Does
anyone have any idea of who might be doing this and what they intend to do
with what they acquire in this way? As far as I know there has been very
little evidence of systematic theft and subsequent repackaging for sale,
but others might enlighten me.

Note that I am using the word "theft" for convenience and not making an
ideological statement.

Anthony Watkinson