Re: What if open access publishers close down

Jim,

We agree. The 'what if' question is a realistic one. But not really for
open access publishers. What if large conventional publishers' article
databases disappear? You're absolutely right to raise that issue. The open
access publishers at least make it possible, just by virtue of the
material being 'open access', that material is archived, duplicated,
further disseminated, without restrictions, and there IS comfort in
redundancy. We would like all open access publishers to commit to
depositing all their material in open archives as well, and we are
campaigning for that. The access control of the conventional publishers'
databases and the often spelled-out contractual stipulation that the
material may not be permanently archived by the licensees, presents
dramatically greater dangers of the material being lost. There are
examples already of early electronic journals published and discontinued
by some of the largest conventional publishers that have simply
disappeared. Even if the material is found somewhere now, it's not clear
if the original publisher doesn't want to make it available anymore,
whether copyright rules make it possible at all for anyone else to
'rescue' the material. One specific lost (medical) journal we have tried
to rescue and make available freely, but so far we are being held back by
copyright considerations. This simply would have been a fully avoidable
situation in an open access environment.

Jan

On Saturday, Jan 18, 2003, at 21:51 Europe/London, James A. Robinson
wrote:

> [llicense: If this is too off-topic, someone smack me]
>
>> BioMed Central does what it can to ensure that the material published
>> remains openly and freely available in all eventualities. But David is
>> right in pointing out that the preservation of science literature has
>> always been a library responsibility, not a publisher one.
>
> Which is why I wasn't directing those questions at any specific Open
> Access publisher.  I was (and am still) asking the librarians on this
> list. :-)
>
>> We are realistic at BioMed Central, and provide for eventualities,
>> but we plan for success. What Jim suggests seems to me like planning
>> for failure, although I'm sure he doesn't intend it that way.
>
> I do intend it that way, but not as a slight against BioMed Central.
> I'm not familier enough with the world of publishing to know whether or
> not there are ever sudden massive collapses of a publisher's product.
> This RoweCom incident, where money meant for services has gone AWOL, got
> me to wondering what the plans are if a publisher goes WorldCom.

[SNIP]