Re: What if open access publishers close down

BMC is doing what is necessary in an excellent manner, and so is JSTOR,
and many others, including several of the large commercial publishers,
such as Elsevier. I suggest that it is not quite enough for publishing
organizations and libraries to rely on these arrangments alone.

We need assurances that all such content is properly handled, and that in
each case multiple properly maintained sources are available. We need
assurances that the quality of these archives is tested and certified. We
need arrangements so that each individual library does not have to verify
this separately for each individual source.

Though the primary responsibility for these arrangments is of course the
publisher, it is the proper role of the library profession to organize and
certify these arrangments. This is the analog of what librarians have done
with printed material and also with earlier archiving media.

Are there such projects or proposals underway?

Dr. David Goodman
Princeton University Library
and
Palmer School of Library & Information Science, Long Island University
dgoodman@princeton.edu