RE: Refereeing, how to do it

David describes what is surely the ideal, and I'm sure that every
conscientious editor and reviewer strives to achieve it.  Nonetheless, as
editor of the Journal of the Medical Library Association, I have thought
long and hard about the peer review process and it is clearly not perfect.
I am less confident than David is that editors and reviewers are quite as
omniscient in their fields as he would like them to be.  For example, in
the case of the JMLA, I think we have a very good review process, but
studies in the use of information by health professionals (for example)
can appear in many different sorts of publications, and while I expect my
reviewers to be generally familiar with such as it appears in the library
literature and the major health sciences publications, if an author were
to publish, in some state dental society journal, an article on
information resource use by dentists, and then send that same article on
to me, it is possible that we would not catch the dup! lication.  The
record of retracted publications over the last twenty years, in many cases
involving very reputable and high quality journals, speaks for itself.
The very best review processes will not catch all instances of error,
fraud, carelessness, and, indeed, plagiarism or copyright infringement.

The relevance to the "vanishing act" discussion is that if we do not find
a way to hold publishers harmless for inadvertent and accidental
infringement, then it will be very difficult to convince corporate lawyers
that they should go ahead and annotate and link such articles rather than
expunging them.

Those of you who are interested in looking into the peer review process
further may be interested in the following:

The indispensible starting point for serious study of peer review is Ann
C. Weller's "Editorial Peer Review: Its Strengths and Weaknesses" (ASIST,
2001).  This is a systematic review of over 1,100 studies of the peer
review process and includes chapters on Editors and Editorial Boards, Role
of Reviewers, Reviewers and their Biases, and Peer Review in an Electronic
Environment, among other topics.

In 1986, JAMA sponsored the first International Congress on Peer Review in
Biomedical Publication.  The proceedings of the 4th Congress, which was
held in Barcelona in September 2001, are published as a special theme
issue of JAMA, June 5, 2002, volume 297, number 21.

In 2000/2001, the journal Academic Medicine underwent a thorough study of
their own peer review process.  The results of that study, which includes
very useful information on the peer review process at other publications,
is presented in Academic Medicine, September 2001, volume 76, number 9.

And finally, Ann Weller recently brought to my attention a new publication
from BMJ Books, "How to survive peer review" by Elizabeth Wager, Fiona
Godlee and Tom Jefferson (BMJ Books, 2002).  I haven't seen it yet, but it
comes highly recommended.

Scott

T. Scott Plutchak
Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
tscott@uab.edu