Re: Chronicle article: Subscription Service's Difficulties Could Be Costly for Libraries and Publishers

Perhaps I can answer some of your questions, James. In general terms
agents bill libraries in the autumn (fall) and will start paying
publishers more or less from that time. In many cases this means that the
agent may end up paying publishers in advance of receiving the money from
the library. If agents waited until each customer paid them for their
subscriptions then a great many subscriptions might be renewed late and
that could have consequences for the library.

Because most agents will batch their orders to publishers to avoid having
to cut many small cheques it stands to reason that some early payments by
libraries will be held by the agent for a short time before it is paid to
the publisher. This tends to be balanced by those payments which come in
slightly later.

Again I would reiterate my earlier posting. Our industry is remarkably
stable, the instances of subscription agents hitting major trouble
involving the loss of subscription revenues is very small. Whilst
negotiations are continuing to take place between divine and potential
purchasers of RoweCom there is still a chance that the situation may not
turn out as badly as currently feared.

It is interesting to note that the majority of agents are privately owned
companies, generally they are financially sound, well run and have high
ethical standards. Share price manipulation is something most agents
probably do not have to consider in their business as a result!

Rollo Turner
Secretary General
Association of Subscription Agents and Intermediaries
Tel +44 (0)1494 534778
www.subscription-agents.org
Email rollo.turner@onet.co.uk