RE: charge for CD-ROM site licensing

Yes, I think CD-ROM is bad also, and would like to find solutions that can
be networked from a server.  I know that HighWire Press has helped some
publishers get at least some of their backfiles online.

I don't know which publishers see their backfiles as a potential revenue
source to "milk" (like the American Medical Association) and which would
just like to get the project done.  I suspect that some of the latter need
our help as librarians in doing this.

This week I did a project to review what journals we had available online,
and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was about 90%.  I contacted
some of the other editors and asked them what plans they had for
digitizing. Some were in process, and some were clueless.  I believe some
of the latter could use our help, and if they are willing to not want to
make it a revenue source, I believe with either library money or grant
money, some of these backfiles could be brought online quite easily.
I've seen prices as low as 4 cents a page to create a .pdf file from a
"chopped" print resource.

CD-ROM is old technology and I simply don't want to "go there."

Harvey Brenneise
Michigan Public Health Institute
hbrenne@mphi.org