Re: Elsevier's Vanishing Act

My good friend Anthony has kindly provided exactly the illustration I
needed.

His description below is a very good account of the kind of inadequate
editing and reviewing that I had in mind. In fact, for at least one the
articles involved, it corresponds very closely to what I have been told
actually happened, where the article was self-invited, self-refereed, and
self-edited.

As for copyright infringement, I believe one of the roles of reviewers, in
particular, is to be aware of material on the subject that has been
previously published. The editor selects the reviewers.

Dr. David Goodman
Princeton University
and Palmer School of Library and Information Science, LIU
dgoodman@princeton.edu