From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 8:12 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: charge for CD-ROM site licensing

According to their web site, they are presently selling it, or trying to,
for $100, to current members only--current membership costs $150 for a
institutional member and $95 for a personal member.  The current quarterly
issues seem to be available only in print. The value of a site license for
an online version of their journal, including current issues, might well
be worth a little more than the current annual institutional price.
There is little value in a CD of the backfile, single-user or
site-licensed, while the current issues are not available electronically.
I cannot imagine any market except for those who lack back volumes--and
then a single-user version would do.  As biology selector I sometimes
receive such disks free; they go in a storage cabinet, uncataloged.  It is
a shame they did not ask some questions before adopting an outmoded
technology.  In that context their name does sound a little ironic.

Dr. David Goodman
Princeton University
and
Palmer School of Library & Information Science, Long Island University
dgoodman@princeton.edu