Bar. Assn. book and shrink-wrap license

I'm a member of the bar in Maryland and a member of the Maryland State Bar
Association.  I just received my copy of the association's 2003 "Maryland
Lawyers' Manual.  It came in the mail shrink -wrapped with a copy of the
license agreement clearly showing through the wrap, written in prominent,
double-spaced type.

Since this is a publication for association members, I don't find any of
the license terms unreasonable.  Moreover, the idea of licensing
restrictions in connection with a book is not new.  For many years, a
heavily used reference book in many public libraries has been the Stewart
"Criss-Cross", on the title page of which appears:

"This book is the property of Stewart Directories, Inc. and is leased for
a period of one year.  It remains the property of Stewart Directories,
Inc. and will be collected upon delivery of a new directory or
cancellation of lease.  It may not be loaned, sold or disposed of in any
way."

David C. Marshall
Chief of Public Services and Branch Management
Anne Arundel County Public Library
5 Truman Parkway
Annapolis, Maryland 21401

Tel. 410-222-7235