RE: walk-in users & open access

Quite a number of years ago I wrote a master's thesis on the topic of
library use of academic libraries by "outside" users.  I conducted a
survey of ARL libraries.  I suppose I could get it out and scan it and
make it available!  Essentially, I found that public universities were
more open than private ones (verified by my own experiences at Stanford,
Princeton, Berkeley, North Carolina), and that rural ones were more likely
to be open than urban ones.  So your best chance is using a rural or small
city state university library (like Michigan State or North Carolina).  A
person's lowest chance was in using an urban private university such as
Chicago or NYU.  Most had a method of payment.  I remember NUY accepted
charge cards.

Harvey Brenneise
Michigan Public Health Institute
hbrenne@mphi.org