RE: Pricing models, was RE: Message from Kevin Guthrie, JSTOR's President

> Of course, it's charging the users per
> item for providing what they have already paid for getting by supporting
> the library as a whole.

Except that paying your tuition and fees doesn't magically result in the
library having all the money it needs to provide everything you need.
(In other words, just because you "support the library as a whole" doesn't
mean you've paid enough to get whatever you want.)  If the patrons need
more than the library can buy, then the library has only two choices:
charge the patrons directly or tell the patrons they can't have it.  It
seems to me that either of those approaches may be appropriate, depending
on the situation.

Rick Anderson
rickand@unr.edu