Proxy Servers & Hacker for a Day: LJ Academic News Wire

Of great interest... forwarded with permission of LJ.

-----Original Message-----
From: chlj@espcomp.com [mailto:chlj@espcomp.com]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 12:59 PM
To: AALBANESE@REEDBUSINESS.COM
Subject: Library Journal Academic News Wire: December 12, 2002

Library Journal Academic Newswire (TM)
The Book Report for December 12, 2002

In This Issue

I. NEWS

--JSTOR says open proxy servers threaten security of campus networks
--Open proxy helps librarian turn hacker for day
--Wait 'til next year: In California things to get worse before they get
  better
--Science.gov gateway connects public to govt. sci/tech info
--For Rosetta, Random e-book legal battle over, but now what?

II. Marketplace news
--Palgrave invites librarians to learn more about SYBworld
at ALA
--Serials Solutions announces two new linking services
--JEP announces its new publishing partnership with
Columbia University Press

[SNIP]

******************TODAY'S NEWS******************
[SNIP]

OPEN PROXY HELPS LIBRARIAN TURN HACKER FOR DAY

When Melissa Belvadi, systems and services librarian at Maryville
University Library (St. Louis), first heard that JSTOR had been attacked
using open proxies, she was curious. Just how was this possible? So she
sat down at her computer, went to Google, and within minutes found a site
that listed for free hundreds of open proxies. Minutes later, she was
accessing full-text articles from libraries at The University of
California, Berkeley, and Carnegie- Mellon University. "I wasn't even
checking JSTOR, I was going into databases we didn't have and almost
immediately I was into their full-text," she told the LJ Academic
Newswire. It was then that the threat posed by open proxies became real to
her. "We had to drag a lot of publishers kicking and screaming into these
databases," said Belvadi. "These kinds of open proxy servers are a threat
because if publishers get upset they can start pulling their content."
Belvadi says she wrote a cordial note to librarians at the institutions
she was able to access informing them that she was not a hacker, but that
their systems were vulnerable.

Belvadi says she was shocked at how easy it was to get into a campus's
system. "You just need to find a dot-edu domain," she noted. "It could be
a student, the campus bookstore, an administrative office." She notes that
on a large campus where there can be more than 25,000 computers, the
vulnerability--thanks to sites like antiproxy.com, which lists open
proxies for free--can be extensive. While she was surprised how quickly
she was able to get into databases, "I was most surprised how easy it was
to find these lists." Belvadi said she now understands exactly what
prompted JSTOR President Kevin Guthrie's warning about the threat of open
proxy servers. "JSTOR found someone exploiting them that was not some
little grad student," she said. "It's not a big deal if someone is just
using your service for an hour or two. But someone could download the
entire contents of JSTOR and set up a mirror site." Such concerns could
hurt the progress of electronic resources if publishers begin to get cold
feet about such a scenario.  Belvadi says that simply monitoring network
use could be a simple and effective way to make sure such abuse does not
happen.

[SNIP]

Contributing Editor: Andrew R. Albanese
(aalbanese@reedbusiness.com) 646-746-6852
Editor: Francine Fialkoff (fialkoff@reedbusiness.com) 646-
746-6807

Copyright (c) 2002 Library Journal. All rights reserved.  Redistribution
allowed only via E-mail delivery or print- out/photocopy distribution
within 60 days of original transmission and only to individuals affiliated
with the institution which received the original E-mail from Library
Journal. "Library Journal" is a registered trademark. "Library Journal
Academic Newswire" is a trademark.