Creative Commons

http://creativecommons.org/

On December 16, 2002, Creative Commons released version 1.0 of its
Licensing Project and the first release of content under its Founders'
Copyright.  These are the first two projects in a series that Creative
Commons will launch, all designed to help expand the amount of
intellectual work, whether owned or free, available for creative re-use.

The Licensing Project will build licenses that will help you tell others
that your works are free for copying and other uses - but only on certain
conditions. You're probably familiar with the phrase "All rights reserved"
and the little � that goes along with it. Creative Commons wants to help
copyright holders send a different message: "Some rights reserved" and our
"CC Creative Commons" logo. If you prefer to dedicate your work to the
public domain, where nothing is owned and all is permitted, we'll help you
do that. In other words, we'll help you declare "No rights reserved."
The Founders' Copyright Project will make content available under the same
initial term as the framers of the United States Constitution did-just 14
years. O'Reilly & Associates is our founding contributor to this Project.

snip

for rest of annoucement and varioius types of licenses, please see the
website.

Chuck Hamaker