Re: Security Issues (was JSTOR) Pt. 2.

As Jim writes (and Ann also in her just-posted messages) the point we all
agree on is that we need secure truly confidential identification--for
libraries and for many other purposes as well.

Much as some of us want to make the journal literature freely accessible
to all, the access needs to be properly supported through the efforts and
contributions of all involved in the information process. Guerilla efforts
to evade legitimate contracts will harm the cause of a rational
transition.  There is such a thing as fair use, and I very much want to
see that concept extended by legal means considerably beyond the present
limits.  There is also such a thing as unfair use, and when it occurs, I
hope the publishers will continue to alert the community as early as
possible. Then we can all cooperate in stopping it, and readjusting the
system to prevent further occurrences. When libraries agree in our
contracts to use all reasonable efforts to deter and detect such use, all
libraries that I know of fully mean it, and will follow through.

speaking for myself,
Dr. David Goodman
Princeton University Library
and
Palmer School of Library & Information Science, Long Island University
dgoodman@princeton.edu