RE: Message from Kevin Guthrie, JSTOR's President

I would like to speak against one small part of David's argument, that
about simultaneous use.  I am constantly confronted with medical
publishers who tell me that because I am negotiating on behalf of a
medical school with a certain number of FTE, I ought to pay an exorbitant
amount for their product that they are sure all our physicans will use.

I much prefer a concurrent use license, plus logfiles, where I get proof
that our users are actually using their product.

I might add that a measured use license gives the university a strong
incentive to close down independent proxy servers described in the JSTOR
complaint.

Jim Morgan
Indiana University School of Medicine