Security Issues (was JSTOR) Pt. 2.

Folks:

The points that liblicense-l posters are making are both intelligent and
very important ones, but it seems to me that we have branched away from
the specific problem that the JSTOR situation, etc, raised.

	JSTOR message:  There's a gap in security that's affecting JSTOR
	and other similar resources.

        List messages:  well, but we're not that worried about a gap of
	*that* kind affecting *that* particular kind of resource, i.e.,
	the scholarly journal or database.

The oirginal question is this:  if we know that IP authentication has this
particular problem, then when should we continue to use it, and when/how
should we be either abandoning it or trying to improve it?  This is a
somewhat specialized question, and I'm guessing (based on my own
knowledge) that not enough of us on the list understand it fully, so we
are not also having a discussion that fully considers the technical
environment in which we all now live and work.  And while technology is
not all, in this kind of situation it matters!

So, we could use some input from some of the technical folks who work for
universities and publishers, please.

Ann Okerson/Yale University Library
ann.okerson@yale.edu