RE: Message from Kevin Guthrie, JSTOR's President

> There are perhaps some work arounds: it might be possible to give walk in
> users temporary user names, possibly through specific library machines
> configured to do this in a manner hidden from the user.

This is actually a perfectly reasonable work-around; it's what we do at my
library, where all on-site users of the library computers are required to
authenticate.  We actually have a separate cluster of machines that are
reserved for non-affiliated users, who use guest accounts set up for them
by library staff.

Rick Anderson
rickand@unr.edu