RE: Message from Kevin Guthrie, JSTOR's President

 I agree with what David has said below. The responsibility for walk-in
users is a continuing obligation that we carefully include in contracts.
It might be onerous for JSTOR's system to register proxy servers, but that
is not an impossible task I would think. If the server is registered that
should limit substantially the access from off campus to mostly legitimate
users, and if there is abuse then it should be easier to track who it is
coming from if its off campus. At the same time, the abilty to provide ip
filtering for on campus use is just too important to discontinue it. The
ip filtering as a common filter, is also a significant reason that linked
resources work as well as they do. And in fact, requiring each user to
register creates other significant problems I believe, specifically if you
have the information on who uses what, you can under the US Patriots act
get in a situation where the individuals use of materials can always be
tracked.

We solve the problem with book circulation in some systems by breaking the
identifying link between the exact user when the book is returned. How do
we protect confidentiality in a system every user MUST log on.-I hope I'm
not misunderstating this-I may not understand all the nuances.

Chuck