RE: Message from Kevin Guthrie, JSTOR's President (LONG)

Any form of authentication based on a virtual identity has some risk of
fraud.  Like Rick Anderson states, we need to take "reasonable measures".
Our first generation Library Gateway was based on user-names and
passwords.  And while we took "reasonable measures" to keep these accounts
within the Cornell Community, we were sure that many of them left the
country.  As long as the publisher is willing to work with their clients
to reduce the risk of abuse, there doesn't appear to be a good-enough
argument to revamp our authentication methods, or turn the library into a
police state.

--Philip Davis
pmd8@cornell.edu