RE: Shrinkwrap contract on books

Does anyone know if the Maryland Bar Assn is in favour of UCITA, or are
they trying to make a point?

What would enforcement of this contract look like?  Who is most likely to
buy their books, if not their own members?  Would members of the
association really sue their fellow lawyers for lending books to each
other?  What if the offender is a judge?

Perhaps someone should come up with a contract that makes the absurdity
even clearer.  How about a shrinkwrap license for a book that says that by
purchasing this book, you have the legal right to physical possession.
However, if you would like to actually use the contents of the book, i.e.
read it, you need to pay a separate "access fee".  A convenient order form
could be attached...

Why not apply this concept to everything we purchase.  Should we assume
that because we've bought a sofa, that we automatically have sitting
rights?

Maybe someone could write a book on the subject and insert such a
contract.  Suggested title:  "Buy this Book - but Don't Read It!".

cheers,

Heather Morrison
Project Coordinator
BC Electronic Library Network