RE: going online only... (and JSTOR)

I am glad Kevin raised the issue of governance of JSTOR. The board
includes the names of some very impressive individuals in a variety of
roles in higher education. But I am completely in the dark about how these
individuals are appointed to the board. I think that before the library
community can have total faith in the long-term direction and permanence
of JSTOR, the governance of this organization needs to be more transparent
and modeled more along the lines of OCLC or CRL. I am not aware that there
are any elected members of the board, or who the electorate might be.

Paul M. Gherman
University Librarian
611B General Library
419 21st Avenue South