RE: Dow Jones/Factiva Database

We have already switched to Factiva (had to).  Here are my experiences
with DJI/Factiva as well as other databases/vendors like LexisNexis, Ebsco
Newspaper Source, Newsbank, etc.

A. The mass content removal by DJI/Factiva is not new.  All other full
text indexes vendors have been doing exactly the same.  The first such
mass content removal I can remember was over 600 (or more) UMI business
titles removed from LexisNexis Academic in 1998.  This is NOT something we
can negotiate, and it is out of our control.

B. "Dynamic" has been the feature of full-text indexes.  Now even E
journals like MUSE and ECO, which are supposed to be more stable and have
permanent archive, have shown some dynamic features.

C. Chicago Tribune, together with about 40 major US newspapers, have had
"exclusive" deal with Newsbank, which means other vendors have lost
contract with these newspapers.  Again, "exclusive" deal is not new and is
not limited to newspapers.  Harvard Business Review now is only available
on Ebsco Business Source.

D. At present, we have access to both DJI and Factiva, and I have noticed
that LA Times is no longer accessible on DJI, but is still there on
Factiva.

E. I have noticed that the content list of DJI/Factiva is less reliable
than the lists from other vendors.  Sometimes you do not have full text
access even if the content list has the title.  DJI's proxy server
setting/configuration is more complicated too.  I have not done the
Factiva proxy server configuration yet.

F. We were concerned in Spring 02 when we had Factiva trial and learned
that Factiva's browser limit.  Netscape 4.x was the supported browser on
our campus.  Later, we switched the support to IE.  I am not worried about
browser issue anymore, because the most recent statistics show that
Netscape world market has shrunk from about 40% in 1999 to less than 4% in
2002.

On the whole, it seems to be the trend that the content of full-text
indexes is deteriorating (e.g., more key titles removed, more embargoed
titles, etc), and it seems we as librarians can do nothing about it. And
our professional organizations (ALA and ACRL) even helped the trend of
content deterioration, as in the case of Tasini.

---
Xiaotian Chen
Electronic Services Librarian
Bradley University