Re: DMCA Alternatives

Free as in freedom.  Information is inherently the common wealth of
humanity, the moment it's communicated.  There's actually no two ways
about that.

The main legal citation for the facts/ideas vs. expression dichotomy is
Baker vs. Selden, which I would guess is very likely the most commonly
cited case of all US copyright proceedings, and which has been continually
affirmed and developed since.  Here's a Findlaw URL:

> http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=CASE&court=US&vol=101&page=99

See the more recent Feist Publications decision regarding the notion that
authors get exclusive rights as a consequence of the effort they exert in
the production of their expressive works (the "sweat of the brow"
doctrine).  Feist Publications discarded that doctrine rather
resoundingly.

> http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=499&invol=340

The thing I was referring to in my last line was your reading of the
exclusive rights clause in terms of financial incentives for authors,
which talks merely in terms that current statute seems to encourage.
However, digital information and communications technology have changed
the circumstances such that the option of content control that keeps
getting presented from various quarters, actually works in a manner
contrary to the purpose of the exclusive rights clause, as well as
interferies with numerous other principles embodied in the US
Constitution.

Seth Johnson