Harrassowitz re. Lippincott and Elsevier developments

Of possible interest to many readers.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:57:44 -0500
From: DJones@ottosvc.com
Subject: HARRASSOWITZ NEWS No. 58, August 5, 2002

58.2 Tax exemption certificates requested

58.3 OttoEditions access time has been extended by one hour

placed directly by subscribers with Ovid Technologies.  Following is the
message that we received LWW:

++

Each of our paper subscriptions entitles the institution to have
electronic access from one workstation for one user at a time.  This is
User ID/Password controlled, and the customer needs to know their LWW
customer number in order to gain access.  Many libraries will feel this
option is inadequate for their needs and will want to purchase a
wider-ranging access.  These customers, along with all those who
previously purchased a site license for their electronic access, should be
referred to our sister company, Ovid Technologies for a customized quote
at sales@ovid.com or call:
     In the U.S.  781-769-2599 x 744
++

HARRASSOWITZ has a number of customers who have purchased site licenses
through our service for 2002, and we will be contacting them individually
about this change.  But we wanted to alert all of our customers about this
change in policy from the publisher.  We have no further details about how
the transition will be handled, and encourage our customers to contact
Ovid soon in order to minimize the possibility of interrupted access to
their LWW electronic journal subscriptions.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience this change will have on our
customers.

anticipation that this may become a requirement of other publishers, we
are asking all U.S. libraries that are exempt from paying sales or use tax
to please fax to HARRASSOWITZ North American Library Services
certification that they are exempt from paying these taxes.  Otherwise,
you may begin to see taxes on invoices that we send.

     Toll free fax number:    800 574-5732
     Fax number:              251 342-5732
----------

[snip]

HARRASSOWITZ NEWS is distributed on an irregular frequency. Comments and
suggestions from customers about any HARRASSOWITZ services are always
welcome and encouraged.

To be added to the HARRASSOWITZ NEWS distribution list, complete the
Request Form at http://www.harrassowitz.de/top_forms/newsrequ.html.

To discontinue receiving NEWS, or to make changes in address, send an email
message to HARRASSOWITZ Service (service@ottosvc.com), or call Library
Services for North America at (800) 348-6886.