LOCALLY CONTROLLED SCHOLARLY PUBLISHING VIA THE INTERNET:

LOCALLY CONTROLLED SCHOLARLY PUBLISHING VIA THE INTERNET:
The Guild Model
By ROB KLING, LISA SPECTOR, and GEOFF McKIM

The Journal of Electronic Publishing, August, 2002 Volume 8, Issue 1
http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/08-01/kling.html

----------

Published with permission from the American Society for Information
Science and Technology, Proceedings of the 2002 Annual Meeting,
Philadelphia, PA, November 2002.

snip

Our article examines this model, which is based on the practice of
academic departments and research institutes publishing their own locally
controlled series of working papers, technical reports, research
memoranda, and occasional papers.

snip

We refer to this model as guild publishing. It is based on the relatively
well-understood concept of the research manuscript series sponsored by
some academic departments and research institutes. As defined by WordNet
(1.6, 1997 Princeton University) a guild is a formal association of people
with similar interests. Academic departments and research institutes
contain such groupings of people interested in, and working on, similar
topics. They are formal, meaning that membership in academic departments
and research institutes is well-defined and selective, based on
experience, education, and other qualifications. In this article we use
the term "research manuscript," or simply manuscript, to refer to what are
diversely referred to as working papers, preprints, technical reports, and
memoranda. For manuscripts in electronic form, we sometimes use the term
"e-script." The nomenclature for research manuscripts in situ is quite
diverse and thus we use the terms above in an attempt to clarify this
discussion of scholarly communication. For a more detailed discussion of
scholarly communication terminology, see the sidebar of this paper.