re:APS pricing explained for 2003

Dear Readers,

>From my experience in nonprofit journals publishing, I would venture that
publishers have a very difficult time holding the line on page counts when
the submission rates are climbing mostly because of the fear of
competition. There are several bad fallouts from reducing the acceptance
rate ever farther in response to increasing submissions:

* Journal editors generally get VERY unhappy. Their importance to the
publisher cannot be overemphasized!

* New journals crop up to provide outlets for the content, leading to
increased competition and fracturing of the publication outlets.

In this day when a critical mass of content is becoming more and more
valuable in order to attract eyes of readers and purchases from library
consortia, losing good content to a new journal with (most likely) another
publisher is NOT good.

I applaud APS for providing this detailed explanation and allowing the
community to better understand the pressures in the scholarly
communication system.

Janet H. Fisher
Publishing Consultant
39 Harrington Street