Re: Permitted Use Clause

"Hundreds of copies" - of a single article by a single person??? Certainly
not as that does not qualify as "fair use".

I feel very strong about a publisher telling you that you won't have to
pay CCC fees when in fact the license says just the opposite. Surely the
CCC would not agree if they take notice.

If you are not allowed to delete the clause, insert another clause stating

"This Licence shall be deemed to complement and extend the rights of the
Licensee under the national Copyright Act [please replace this by the
appropriate wording for the U.S.] and nothing in this Licence shall
constitute a waiver of any statutory rights held by the Licensee from time
to time under that Act or any amending legislation."

This would guarantee that at least fair use exemptions are not affected.
Still, you should include separate provisions for course and reserve
packs.

Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, Stuttgart University Library