Re: ALPSP statement on e-publishing.

Sorry for the long delay in responding to your interesting query about the
additional costs of electronic publishing - I was awaiting some hard data
which is, at last, emerging from a benchmarking study which we have
carried out.  Although the number of participants is not large (10
publishers of various sizes, including both commercial and not-for-profit
houses), we do now have some hard figures about the extra costs of
electronic publication. Unfortunately only three participants were able to
give precise figures for these additional costs, but you might find these
interesting:

    Copy-editing (2 respondents)    5% additional cost
    Typesetting (3 respondents)    5%, 15%, 20%
    Subscription management (3 respondents)    5%, 15%, 15%

So, for what it's worth, there you have it!

Sally Morris, Secretary-General
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK

Phone:  01903 871686 Fax:  01903 871457 E-mail:  sec-gen@alpsp.org
ALPSP Website  http://www.alpsp.org

Learned Publishing is now online, free of charge, at
www.learned-publishing.org