Re: patriot act and counting hits via IP

Personally, in spite of such clauses--and the one cited seems a very good
one--, I see no way of preventing the government from getting to the
individual ip use data held by the supplier, especially if on a US-based
server.  As for data held by the library, I suggest the same method that
has long been used for circulation data: do not hold it after the
immediate need has passed.  If this means not keeping logs beyond the time
needed for initial de-bugging and tracing license violations, then do not
keep the logs. I regret the need for this, as the analysis of use data on
an individual level would have much interest if privacy could be fully
protected. But in the current environment I do not think we can
effectively protect privacy if we maintain the data, and the principle of
intellectual freedom is more important to me than our potential research.