Re: Contracts and Practical Realities?

Many of these questions have been addressed by arXiv. They provide a 24 hr
period for corrections and replacements after the item is posted. After
that it stays. Corrections and so forth are new versions. All versions
remain permanently--if there is a preprint and a postprint, both are
there. I think that's the way it should be. Storage is cheaper and getting
cheaper.

There are limitations on the files that can be posted. I believe they
exclude incorporated spreadsheets. The way of handling such materials is
links, not incorporation. This takes care of 1/ 2/ and 3/

As for 4/ if the author makes such a mistake he's stuck with it. If he had
sent the file out on a mailing list such as this, and didn't realize till
after it was posted, he'd be stuck too. (Since it's a moderated list,
there's a period when the moderator can prevent the posting--I am not
ashamed to admit I have asked her to do so once or twice, and that she has
asked me to let something I sent not be posted once or twice. But once
it's up, it's up.)

5/ A violation of copyright is so serious that it is reasonable to expect
authors to take good care they do not do so, and most certainly to expect
editors and publishers to take good care their authors do not do so.
Personally, I would prefer a situation where no court could order the
material removed, but monetary damages would be paid instead. The only
reason I make an exception for court orders is because there is no way of
preventing them.

Remember, we are talking about the publication of edited material, not
material that an individual may with evil intent choose to post, like on
the unregulated web.

I would be very glad to hear of improved language that achieves the same
effects; I set no great store on the precision or conciseness of my own. A
better way of accomplishing the same result would be very good; my example
is meant primarily to illustrate the principle.

David Goodman
Research Librarian and Biological Sciences Bibliographer
Princeton University Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu            609-258-7785

___