Re: meaning of "systematic"

Carole Richter wrote:

> I understand JSTOR and IEEE both to mean that users cannot download issue
> after issue in their entirety. That seemed perfectly logical to me, even
> if a bit of a gray area to define precisely. But another colleague then
> asked why!!! And I found that I had no real answer! I suppose if we get
> the journal in print, a faculty member or student CAN make personal copies
> of every single article if they want to, can't they?

Just to clarify this point: it may depend on the law of the particular
jurisdiction.  Under Australian copyright law, my understanding is that
the amount of a periodical issue that may be copied is restricted, and
though there's a "statutory licence" for educational purposes, it's
limited too.  The fair use doctrine doesn't embrace the copying of an
entire issue.

The full Australian provisions may be read at
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/ -- and I'm
no lawyer, I'm simply passing on observations.

Hal Cain
Joint Theological Library
Parkville, Victoria, Australia
<hal.cain@ormond.unimelb.edu.au>